I’ve just got home from a lovely supper with friends. We had roast duck. Hannah, my host, had already roasted the duck when I got there but was unsure as to what sauce to have with it. We’re good friends and she doesn’t mind me taking over a bit in the kitchen (it has been said that I’m a bossy boots by more than one person before) so I came up with this sauce – sorry no pictures as we ate it before it occurred to me to share the recipe!
Although the recipe is for duck in peach sauce, I imagine it would work well with goose or lamb too, maybe venison would work as well.
Hannah had rubbed the skin of the duck with some honey and roasted it with an orange up its bottom to keep it moist.
1 400g can sliced peaches (we used peaches in syrup as that was all we had – we drained off the syrup and rinsed them under cold water)
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 tablespoon ground mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
250ml boiling water
75ml Peach Schnapps
1. In a frying pan over a high heat, melt the butter and add the peaches, chilli flakes, spice and pepper.
2. Stir gently until the peaches are heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes, depending on your pan.
3. Crumble in the stock cube and add the water, giving it all a good stir to make sure it is combined.
4. Let the mixture bubble and reduce until it has begun to thicken, this will probably happen quite quickly.
5. Add in the schnapps and bring back to the boil then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes and then serve over carved roasted duck.
The diet is still going well – I’ve mastered the mindset of not thinking “urgh – I’m on a diet” and am now thinking more along the lines of “I like how baggy these jeans feel, I can sustain this”. I knew I’d be eating out this evening and wasn’t really hungry during the day so only had a Slim-A-Soup for lunch. I was driving this evening so was only drinking water too, which must help.