As you may have gathered, we don’t do carbs really and Nigel was craving shortbread. I really wasn’t sure how this would work and it may be that I fiddle with the recipe more to come up with the final product but I was pleasantly surprised at how good and naughty this felt – even though it just isn’t! I’m actually really chuffed to have come up with a recipe for low carb shortbread – treats shouldn’t be so easy!
I only made this in a tiny batch as I didn’t want to use up precious ingredients during lockdown without knowing how it would turn out. You could easily double the quantities though – it’s just a ratios game.
90g Gram flour
30g Almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan and line and grease a small baking tray (I used a small foil tray)
- Grind the erythritol as finely as you can in a food processor and then cream together with the butter
- Add the gram and almond flour and combine thoroughly until you have a fine crumb texture
- Tip all the mixture into your baking tray and press down with your fists to compact it into a dough
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown
- Cut into squares whilst still hot and then leave to cool before serving